Because Knowledge Grows On Trees
The Guide evolved from the need to have an application that could organize information and ideas in a hierarchical, tree-like structure. Tree-based structures are frequently employed to manage information through a "divide-and-conquer" approach, wherein each level of the tree represents a further level of specialization of the parent-level topic — the best example of this being a book.
The Guide is an application that allows you create documents ("guides") which inherently have a tree (which you can modify as you please) and text associated with each node of the tree. The text itself is of the rich-text variety, and the editor allows you to modify the style and formatting of the text (fonts, bold, italics etc).
A picture is worth a thousand words: have a look at some screenshots.
The Guide is available as an installable package for Microsoft Windows 2000 and upwards (XP, 2003, 2008, Vista). The binaries are also available as a zip file that requires no installation and supports portable use. The Guide is a 32-bit native C++ Win32 application (that uses MFC). It will work on 64-bit platforms also.
Disclaimer: The Guide is mature, stable and has a good track record of satisfied users the world over. Nevertheless, you are encouraged to verify for yourself that the application works to your satisfaction before trusting it with valuable data. The author cannot be held responsible for any loss of data.
(Check out the development blog "Building The Guide" for discussions and status of development.)
- 13-Dec-2008: Version v2.0 released!
- 9-Aug-2008: Version v2.0beta1 available. Check out 2.0 WIP page for 2.0 features!
- 26-Jan-2008: Version v1.6.1 released. Check out what's new in this version.
- 20-Jan-2008: Version v2.0dev4 available. Check out 2.0 WIP page to see what's hot!
- 7-Nov-2007: Version v2.0dev3 available. Check out 2.0 WIP page to see what's hot!
- 19-Sep-2007: Version v2.0dev2 available. Check out 2.0 WIP page to see what's hot!